10 Ways To Have A Smooth Road Trip
The last 2 years has led to some opportunities for us to venture out on the Road as a family. We have learned a few things along the way that help it make a smooth experience for all involved.
1. We do most of our driving at Night! We have 3 little ones so it makes for a more peaceful drive if we do it while the little ones sleep.
Note : This looks like the following if it is 8-10 hours (sometimes more) we want to get done we don’t get on the road til 2 or 3. We spend the day exploring and playing getting ready to spend time in the Van. Then we leave and stop for a late dinner around 7. After dinner, we change the kids into pjs and put on a movie in the Van ( personally I sleep til about 11). Then we fuel up and switch driving.
2. Have all your devices charged and ready to go! Any movies or audio books that you need to work without Wi-Fi (be sure to download these before you head out!)
Note : We use our iPad pro as the in travel movies and the kids have kindle fires with games on them. I personally listen to podcasts and or audio books in my ear bud while driving at night. H likes certain radio shows that he downloads. This makes it an enjoyable experience for all.
3. Pack your snacks & or have more snacks delivered at your destinations. I Love amazon pantry box for this.
Note: I have amazon delivered at our Disney Resort when we traveled there and for our summer road trip I have amazon delivered when we are staying with family. This lets us fill up on our snacks, diapers, dog food, laundry detergent etc.
4. Keep an overnight bag easily accessible.
Note : We keep an overnight bag packed with a few changes of clothes, essentials, swimsuits etc. On our summer road trip we are always prepared for a stop..visiting a hot springs, or park. Changing into pjs to be more comfortable etc. This way we don’t have to get out the suitcases every time.
5. Keep a Fun bag in the Car – This has special road treats, games, blow up balls for some park time, bubbles, glow sticks, coloring books etc. Special stuffed animals. These things keep the kids happy.
6. Get the Starbucks app & load it up! We use this a lot on our road trips and that way we earn free coffees and drinks as well.
Note: We like to make our restroom stops at Starbucks (they have clean restrooms) so we use the mobile order feature on the app. I place the coffee order on the mobile app and get restroom breaks taken care of and pick up our coffee order on the way out! Saving us lots of time!
7. Have some blankets and pillows to make the trip comfy! Plus I personally like sleeping with my own pillow during our big Summer Road Trip!
8. Map out some fun stops along the way! I love using pinterest to look for things to do in cities that we might be traveling through.
Note : We traveled along the old Route 66 so we66, so some fun stops along the way! Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, TX.
9. Use the Time in the Car to talk with your Partner or Kids. We play 20 questions and H & I talk about podcasts, books, Dreams etc. When you have three little kids you don’t always get the time to have quiet to talk.
10. Have Fun & Make some great memories!
Do you have any fun ideas for road trips? Don’t forget to subscribe to follow along in our Summer Adventure 2018!
Til Our Next Adventure,